Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Second to Last Call

My Obama post will be finished before Super Tuesday/Fat Tuesday, I promise it. School > blogging, but this is important, and I want to do it right. Hopefully it'll be up in the morning on Sunday.

In the meantime, Nora linked me to a fantastic post by the author of one of my favorite webcomics. It's worth a read, and just to sample at it (beyond Nora's wonderfully concise post), I present the quote below:

"Obama has shown a real commitment to open government. When putting together tech policy (to take an example close to home for xkcd) others might have gone to industry lobbyists. Obama went to Lawrence Lessig, founder of Creative Commons (under which xkcd is published) and longtime white knight in the struggle with a broken system over internet and copyright policy. Lessig was impressed by Obama’s commitment to open systems — for example, his support of machine-readable government information standards that allow citizens’ groups to monitor what our government is up to. Right now, the only group that can effectively police the government is the government itself, and as a result, it’s corrupt to the core. Through these excellent and long-overdue measures, Obama is working to fight this corruption."

This perhaps explains why my analysis of Obama's ethics policy sounded so much to me like Lawrence Lessig. More importantly, why it sounds brilliant and doable. So, give the links a look before Sunday, and I should have my final review ready and useful by Super Tuesday

No comments: