Sunday, February 24, 2008

Blogroll!

Since this is a productive weekend for me, here is the third installment of "Kelsey lists a bunch of links and hopes you like some of them". This time, I'm explaining all the links on my blogroll, which you may have glanced at once or twice. Why I am doing this? Partly it's pure self-indulgence, and partly this is self-indulgence because this is the 100th post I've started to write. If you notice a numerical discrepancy, it's because I have 8 posts (including the fabled Youth Rights post) which are all in various places in development hell. So, empty milestone or not, here are the blogs I read, and reasons why you should like them:

At the top of the list (and breaking alphabetical order) we have UUlogy. This is where the YRUU steering committee posted their video about the death of YRUU, and where lots of righteous UU angst and impassioned outcry is taking place. Besides hosting the articulate and disenfranchised, it has lots of communications with the heads of the UUA, and so is the first stop for biased news on this issue. (Disclaimer: this may be meaningless if you aren't UU. Apologies)

AHS Foliage is Albuquerque High Schools' premier underground newspaper, in its second year of publication. I had more than a little role in its early days, but now it has its own staff. It's continuing the tradition of hyper-relevant social commentary through sarcasm in zines, and is good fun.

Terry Arnold
was my late grandfather's best friend, and he posts intelligent essays that aim at putting reason back into the State Department, and serve as a critique of modern US policies from the perspective of the dignified old school. I have no idea why he posts on Rense, but his stuff merits consideration despite the setting.

Had I been the typical good little AHS-er, I would have probably had Scot Key as my favorite middle school teacher. I had a middle school experience that was not at Jefferson, however, and so instead I know him through his bitter, bitter commentary about Albuquerque Public Schools. He's smart, and there is a certain humor to his posts that I appreciate, but boy does it seem like the current system of schooling just will not do much good. Rather than actively dismantling it, however, he provides snark from the inside. Which, all told, is probably the better thing to do.

Ever read all the comics in the newspaper, get angry, and wonder why you keep putting up with this crap? The answer is Comics Curmudgeon, where like minded people analyze comics all the way through death and back to some form of zombified humor. Great, dorky fun.

No burqueno's internet experience would be complete without the occasional foray to the Fix, and the quality of the site is such that I check it almost daily, even 1,500+ miles from the city. The new social networking version is fun as well.

Nora's blog can be found under the in-joke moniker of Esther de Groot. Her blog is far more bloggy, the best aspects of which are summarized in this post. Or, perhaps, this one.

John Fleck is Albuquerque's local "understands science and explains it sensibly in the newspaper" guy, and for those inclined to seek out even more science-y fun, we have his blog. I comment here sometimes, when I am feeling smart but don't want to just take and repost what he said verbatim.

Fleen is my webcomics review of choice; others prefer websnark.

GamePolitics
is a blog about the politics concerning video games, and comes from the standpoint of both consumer advocacy and thinking that people are responsible enough to be trusted with pixels. Biased, but good.

Indexed is so good, it's made me figure out hand gestures so I can quote Venn Diagrams in conversation. A great blog, a great way to interpret information.

iMinister is the blog of Christine Robinson, the minister from First Unitarian Church of Albuquerque. She's very well reasoned and compelling, and works from the sensible premise of gradual, lasting change. This contrasts nicely with the far-reaching "everything is wrong and must be fixed all at once now" attitude common among others whose opinions on social justice I trust. Her blog is far more accessible than some of the other Albuquerque blogs and UU blogs, and I would put this at the top of my list of recommendations, were the list not alphabetical.

Alright, that's it from the blogosphere for me for now. With luck, I'll get those eight posts in limbo fleshed out soon.

No comments: