Monday, February 2, 2009

Getting Humanitarian Intervention Right

Evan's smart. His latest post, culled from an essay, is about how to do humanitarian intervention. And it is really good. My favorite point?
A majority of the bad reputation that humanitarian intervention has, then, is unearned; it is not the doctrine itself (which is guided by the noble ideal of protecting human life), nor the United Nations as an organization (which is left in the unenviable position of being the impartial mediator) that causes the complaints leveled against humanitarian intervention. It is the member nations themselves who use both the organization and the ideal as an excuse and a scapegoat.

1 comment:

MsGraysea said...

Kelsey, In searching for a long ago friend from high school, I came across your blog...I would love to find information about Lynne Atherton. We had a great friendship, and I knew your grandparents very well. They were formative people in my teen years and I will never forget the experience of staying with them in DC for two summers in the late 50's. If you could contact me with any info you might have about Lynne, I would be ever so grateful.
Thank you,
Marcia Morse
morsekittyl at yahoo dot com